Summer is usually a happier time especially in this northern climate because the sunshine is so full of Vitamin D3 for us. However, if you are having a bad day, you might be tempted to turn to food for comfort. Guess what - there are foods that will actually help you to feel better fast - maybe even keep the bad days away.
1. Bananas - Loaded with potassium, these sweet, creamy treats are so good and healthy, you'll want to eat them every day. They contain tryptophan that the body converts to serotonin - the feel-good hormone.
2. Nuts (especially walnuts) - Packed with Omega 3's, protein and minerals, they could help short-circuit depression. try rolling slices of banana in chopped nuts for a mood-altering, delicious treat.
3. Chocolate - Yup - you know you love it and now you know that chocolate contains anadamine that scientists say is a brain chemical that boosts your mood. OK - I'm seeing frozen banana slices dipped in chocolate and rolled in chopped nuts. YUM! I'm happier already.
4. Coffee - Again science proves that the energy-boosting drink we love can actually boost our mood as well as our memory. It improves attention, concentration and reaction time too. Add a little milk and the calcium to calm your nerves and it's even better. Are you with me here? Nothing like creamy cappuccino to go with those cool bananas. Moderation is key - one to two cups a day.5. Fish (salmon, tuna) - Again the Omega 3's are responsible for mood boosting here. You'll also get lots of B6 and B12 that are used in the production of serotonin so aim for 2-3 servings a week to keep your feel-good mood.
6. Broccoli and Spinach - Yum! Raw or cooked these greens and many others give you a power house of B vitamins, minerals and much more. The B vitamin Folic Acid is especially important for production of serotonin and reduction of stress.
7. Blueberries and Strawberries - loaded with Vitamin C and fiber, these yummy summer fruits help combat stress, fight free radicals and keep away tummy troubles. Eat up.
8. Beans - Round out the menu with a variety of beans because their fiber, Omega 3's and folic acid will fill you up, help you lose weight and boost your mood at the same time.
So when you're having a bad day, don't feel guilty about indulging in a healthy, delicious treat. Just remember to use moderation, drink lots of pure water and BREATHE. Actually breathing should be your first go-to for grounding yourself and lightening your mood. It works every time.
Be well always,