Just yesterday I read another diet article extolling the virtues of 'saturated fat' for women who are trying to lose weight. WHAT! Yup. Saturated fat is in again. I am reminded of the Wood Allen movie, "Sleeper", where he is the owner of an organic health food store until he is frozen and wakes up 200 years later to find out that hamburgers are the new health food and no one is eating carrots anymore. : )
Well - Here is what I have been able to put together from the various research, studies and articles I've been reading. If you want to lose weight you need to change a few things. Start by getting a physical and a fasting insulin test. (not expensive) Figure out what your BMI is by using the cool calculator here. This will also give you a good idea where you want to be to achieve a healthy weight for your height. Just play around with the numbers a bit.
For this new way of eating - here are some general guidelines;
- Eliminate wheat, rye and barley from your diet. Instead it is safe to eat rice, corn, millet, quinoa, and amaranth. So many people react badly to gluten which causes inflamation throughout the body. It takes 30-60 days for the inflamation to subside after quitting the gluten foods and up to a year to heal the intestines. We just eat too much bread, crackers and cereals. Time to explore some new foods.
- Eat more vegetables and make 1/3 of your diet RAW food. You'll get the benefit of live enzymes and phytonutrients as well as vitamins that are killed by. (even steaming)
- Make sure your vegetables are fresh and clean. Give them a 30 minute bath in water mixed with 1/2 cup of vinegar. Then rinse and store in an air-tight container with all of the air pressed out. Use them quickly.
- Use good oils (olive, coconut, avocado) as well as organic butter for cooking and dressings. Women especially need these oils - you will lose weight faster and feel better when you add oils to your diet.
- Cut the sugar. Yuck! I know - the holidays are coming but this really will make a difference and you can allow yourself a splurge if you need to.
- Eliminate all artificial sweetners. We know they cause side effects - some pretty severe, but did you know that some of them actually make you crave sugar? Just get rid of them. If you need something sweet try Agave Nectar or Succunat. Both are natural and low glycemic.
- Eat often - especially in the beginning, to avoid low blood sugar and hunger. Be sure to have a little protein with your veggies (hard boiled egg or a bit of tuna or turkey).
- Use EFT to help curb emotional eating. This is very cool and easy to learn.
- Make sure you are getting a digestible source of minerals (no longer available in our fruit and vegetables). Minerals are the spark plug of every cell in your body. You'll be amazed at how much better you feel when you add them. Of course I recommend Body Balance, but that's up to you.
- MOVE your BODY. Do any kind of movement you like. Do short 10 - 15 min spurts - even 5 min bits of jumping around, bouncing, running up the stairs, dancing, situps, walking.... will make a difference. You'll soon feel like doing more and more. : )
- Drink lots of water and make sure it's pure.
Best of luck. Please share you results with me.