I started to write about foods that naturally reduce inflammation and was led (yes - I believe guided) to information that pretty much rocked my safe little world.
For years I have been touting the benefits of drinking RO (reverse osmosis) water because it was the only think I knew of that could eliminate all the toxins including fluoride from drinking water. I later learned that the ph level of RO water was very low (acidic) so we started adding liquid minerals to our drinking water and recommended that friends do the same.
Today I was led to article after article, including one by the WHO, proclaiming the dangers of drinking demineralized water. It is extremely acidic, absorbs carbon dioxide and leaches minerals out of your body as you drink it. In fact, your body contributes so much calcium, magnesium and potassium in an effort to alkalize the water that osteoporosis, osteoarthritis, gout, thyroid disease and heart disease can all result from drinking this water.
I thought adding mineral drops to the water would take care of this, but studies have shown this not to be true. After years of doing just that, RO water drinkers who added minerals were still more deficient in minerals than others who drank tap water.
I still believe that drinking unfiltered tap water is dangerous and there are many studies out the to prove that point. For now we are switching to the Shaklee Water Pitcher This pitcher takes out way more contaminants than any of the other water filtration pitchers we looked at. If you don't know a Shaklee consultant, contact me - I know several.
There - I feel a little better now. Please share this information with people you care about. We are all learning as we go and I will let you know new information as soon as I find it.
Be well always,
Some information taken from the following sources:
Winston W. J. Kao 727-447-2344 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Sunday, July 29, 2012
Sunday, July 8, 2012
Summer is usually a happier time especially in this northern climate because the sunshine is so full of Vitamin D3 for us. However, if you are having a bad day, you might be tempted to turn to food for comfort. Guess what - there are foods that will actually help you to feel better fast - maybe even keep the bad days away.
1. Bananas - Loaded with potassium, these sweet, creamy treats are so good and healthy, you'll want to eat them every day. They contain tryptophan that the body converts to serotonin - the feel-good hormone.
2. Nuts (especially walnuts) - Packed with Omega 3's, protein and minerals, they could help short-circuit depression. try rolling slices of banana in chopped nuts for a mood-altering, delicious treat.
3. Chocolate - Yup - you know you love it and now you know that chocolate contains anadamine that scientists say is a brain chemical that boosts your mood. OK - I'm seeing frozen banana slices dipped in chocolate and rolled in chopped nuts. YUM! I'm happier already.
4. Coffee - Again science proves that the energy-boosting drink we love can actually boost our mood as well as our memory. It improves attention, concentration and reaction time too. Add a little milk and the calcium to calm your nerves and it's even better. Are you with me here? Nothing like creamy cappuccino to go with those cool bananas. Moderation is key - one to two cups a day.5. Fish (salmon, tuna) - Again the Omega 3's are responsible for mood boosting here. You'll also get lots of B6 and B12 that are used in the production of serotonin so aim for 2-3 servings a week to keep your feel-good mood.
6. Broccoli and Spinach - Yum! Raw or cooked these greens and many others give you a power house of B vitamins, minerals and much more. The B vitamin Folic Acid is especially important for production of serotonin and reduction of stress.
7. Blueberries and Strawberries - loaded with Vitamin C and fiber, these yummy summer fruits help combat stress, fight free radicals and keep away tummy troubles. Eat up.
8. Beans - Round out the menu with a variety of beans because their fiber, Omega 3's and folic acid will fill you up, help you lose weight and boost your mood at the same time.
So when you're having a bad day, don't feel guilty about indulging in a healthy, delicious treat. Just remember to use moderation, drink lots of pure water and BREATHE. Actually breathing should be your first go-to for grounding yourself and lightening your mood. It works every time.
Be well always,
Saturday, July 7, 2012
Everyone is talking about being exhausted all the time. Life is so crazy and we are stressed to the max! We don't take time off - can't afford to. We don't get enough sleep - can't afford to. We don't always eat right - can't afford to? Or can't afford the time? So what is the answer in this crazy, extreme life we created?
First of all, even if all of the above is true, a different perspective is needed here. We feel we can't afford the time, cost, energy, whatever to treat our bodies well. Here is the truth. We really can not afford not to.
We all have these two little adrenal glands that help us deal with stress. Going back to the beginning of the human race these glands have allowed us to deal with extreme stress and survive. Here comes a lion - I need to run or fight like crazy. Extreme rush of adrenalin to give me super-human strength so I can survive. Afterwards I crash from all of that exertion and excess adrenalin, but that's OK because I am safe now so I rest and restore my body before the next trial.
Jump to today - here comes the boss - say the right thing, have all the work done, make sure it's super-fantastic so I don't lose my job so I can keep my house and feed my family. Phone is ringing, emails need to be answered, need to take work home with me, need to work late into the night and get up early for a morning meeting - need caffeine to look like I'm awake - no time to rest - no time to restore my body - just keep pushing. . . . . .
Wow! Your body is saying "Really?!?? You want me to do that again?!?!? When do I get to rest?"
Guess what - when your adrenal glands are exhausted they can stop producing adrenalin - that 'fight or flight' hormone that keeps you going at high-stress levels. What happens then is a system crash that will force you to either stop everything or use major drugs to keep going. Yuck!
We need to make some changes as the best forward-thinking companies recognize. Some are incorporating yoga classes on site. Others are making time for Meditation or even mid-afternoon naps. If you have not tried the 15 minute nap, please do! It's amazing how that tiny bit of time can calm your nerves, reduce your stress and make you more alert and productive.
Stress-free eating helps too. Avoid sugar and caffeine for starters. Add more fruits and veggies or if that doesn't seem appealing or possible, add one of the great whole-food, organic, cold-processed products that will give you your fruits and veggies in a quick shake. Two I recommend are Body Balance and Natraburst. I use them both.
Stay hydrated - try for half your weight in ounces of water daily. (ex. you weight 160, drink 80 oz).
MOST IMPORTANTLY - BREATHE!
Remind yourself to take deep belly breaths whenever you can. Take a 5 minute break and just breathe as deeply as you can. You will be amazed at the results - more energy instantly, better sleep, weight loss, better health, better complexion, etc.
This is the only body you get this time around. It needs your love and attention. We all need you to take care of yourself so you can be here for a while and share your wonderful gifts.
Be well always,
More on adrenal fatigue...