OK - so how can a Happy 4th of July celebration be Healthy and still feel like a celebration? Stay with me here - it really is possible.
We are seeing a huge trend recently away from the biggest health offenders (high-fructose corn syrup, hydrogenated oils, over-processed foods, artificial sweeteners...) and toward more natural foods.
Think back to the days of the first Independence Celebration. I don't think they had diet cola, potato chips, dips full of chemicals or artificial whipped cream to top the dessert. But they DID have a great time with really yummy food.
Do you know how easy it is to make baked beans from scratch? The taste is so much better than canned, and you can be really creative while saving $$$. If you have a crock pot, great, otherwise a big old pot on the stove works well. Buy your favorite brand of dried beans ( we like pinto, black or navy), rinse them in a colander and cover them with water and a little salt in a big pot. Bring to a boil, boil for 2 minutes, cover and take off the burner. Let sit for 2 hours while you have fun doing something else.
Then drain and rinse the beans, put back in the pot or crock pot. Add water to cover and your favorite seasonings ( I often use salt, pepper, cumin, onions, garlic, jalapenos, etc) but do not add tomatoes or tomato sauce until beans are finished as it will impair the cooking process. Simmer on low for a few hours. Check a few times to make sure water is not gone. Add tomato sauce, bbq sauce, sugar if desired near the end of cooking. You can also finish the beans in a big cast iron pan on the grill for a great, smoky flavor.
Serve with burgers made from grass fed beef on whole grain buns with a good organic cheese and tomatoes, iced tea or fresh lemonade, a big salad with home made dressing of cider vinegar, garlic, salt, pepper and olive oil.
For dessert, how about some berries from your local farmer's market with fresh cream you whip up yourself (it only takes a minute) or fresh icecream you and the kids make. FUN!
I'm getting hungry.
Have a safe and happy 4th of July celebration.
Be well ~
Thursday, June 30, 2011
Saturday, June 18, 2011
Below is an excerpt directly from Dr. Mercola's newsletter. Please click the link to read more.
Common Sense Tips to Lower Your Risks
While the IARC panel, being a science not policy organization, did not make many specific recommendations to consumers, IARC Director Christopher Wild did take it upon himself to publically state:
"Given the potential consequences for public health of this classification and findings it is important that additional research be conducted into the long-term, heavy use of mobile phones. Pending the availability of such information, it is important to take pragmatic measures to reduce exposure such as hands-free devices or texting."And, Jonathan Samet, leader of the IARC RF-Carcinogenicity working group, of University of Southern California, has said:
"The 2B designation was not limited to cell phones. It has "broad applicability" to all sources of RF radiation" according to Microwave News, something the general news media has not yet zeroed in on.Keep in mind that completely eliminating exposure is close to impossible. Even if you don't use a cell phone and your home is wireless-free, you can be exposed to microwave radiation from your neighbor's wireless devices or while visiting "hot spots" or traveling near cell phone towers. That said, there's still plenty you can do to minimize your exposure and help safeguard your children's health:
If you must use a portable home phone, use the older kind that operates at 900 MHz. They are no safer during calls, but at least some of them do not broadcast constantly even when no call is being made. Note the only way to truly be sure if there is an exposure from your cordless phone is to measure with an electrosmog meter, and it must be one that goes up to the frequency of your portable phone (so old meters won't help much). As many portable phones are 5.8 Gigahertz, we recommend you look for RF meters that go up to 8 Gigahertz, the highest range now available in a meter suitable for consumers.
- Children Should Never Use Cell Phones: Barring a life-threatening emergency, children should not use a cell phone, or a wireless device of any type. Children are far more vulnerable to cell phone radiation than adults, because of their thinner skull bones, and still developing immune and neurological systems.
- Reduce Your Cell Phone Use: Turn your cell phone off more often. Reserve it for emergencies or important matters. As long as your cell phone is on, it emits radiation intermittently, even when you are not actually making a call.
Leave an outgoing message on your phone stating your cell phone policy so others know not to call you on it except in emergencies.
- Use a Land Line at Home and at Work: Although more and more people are switching to using cell phones as their exclusive phone contact, it is a dangerous trend and you can choose to opt out of the madness.
- Reduce or Eliminate Your Use of Other Wireless Devices: You would be wise to cut down your use of these devices. Just as with cell phones, it is important to ask yourself whether or not you really need to use them every single time.
Alternatively you can be very careful with the base station placement as that causes the bulk of the problem since it transmits signals 24/7, even when you aren't talking. So if you can keep the base station at least three rooms away from where you spend most of your time, and especially your bedroom, it may not be as damaging to your health.
Ideally it would be helpful to turn off or disconnect your base station every night before you go to bed. Levels of microwave radiation from portable phones can be extraordinarily high, according to Camilla Rees.
"Portable phone radiation can be as high or higher than a wireless router, though most people would have no idea that this common device at their bedside could be harmful".You can find RF meters at www.emfsafetystore.com. But you can pretty much be sure your portable phone is a problem if the technology is labeled DECT, or digitally enhanced cordless technology.
- Limit Your Cell Phone Use to Where Reception is Good: The weaker the reception, the more power your phone must use to transmit, and the more power it uses, the more radiation it emits, and the deeper the dangerous radio waves penetrate into your body. Ideally, you should only use your phone with full bars and good reception.
Also seek to avoid carrying your phone on your body as that merely maximizes any potential exposure. Ideally put it in your purse or carrying bag. Placing a cell phone in a shirt pocket over the heart is asking for trouble, as is placing it in a man's pocket if he seeks to preserve his fertility.
- Don't Assume One Cell Phone is Safer than Another.There's no such thing as a "safe" cell phone, and do not rely on the SAR value to evaluate the safety of your phone. Always seek CDMA carriers over GSM as they have far lower radiation in their signaling technology. And remember, eliminating cell phone use, or greatly lowering cell phone use from phones of all kinds, is where true prevention begins.
- Keep Your Cell Phone Away From Your Body When it is On: The most dangerous place to be, in terms of radiation exposure, is within about six inches of the emitting antenna. You do not want any part of your body within that area.
- Respect Others Who are More Sensitive: Some people who have become sensitive can feel the effects of others' cell phones in the same room, even when it is on but not being used. If you are in a meeting, on public transportation, in a courtroom or other public places, such as a doctor's office, keep your cell phone turned off out of consideration for the 'second hand radiation' effects. Children are also more vulnerable, so please avoid using your cell phone near children.
- Use Safer Headset Technology: Wired headsets will certainly allow you to keep the cell phone farther away from your body. However, if a wired headset is not well-shielded the wire itself acts as an antenna attracting ambient information carrying radio waves and transmitting radiation directly to your brain. Make sure that the wire used to transmit the signal to your ear is shielded.
The best kind of headset to use is a combination shielded wire and air-tube headset. These operate like a stethoscope, transmitting the information to your head as an actual sound wave; although there are wires that still must be shielded, there is no wire that goes all the way up to your head.
Friday, June 17, 2011
Mine is filled with lettuce, salmon, black olives and pickled asparagus. The dipping sauce is just mustard and hot sauce. Yum.
Have fun, be creative and be well ~